Author: admin

NYSC announces date 2019 Batch “B” Stream 2 will pass out, collect certificates

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) says the passing-out of the 2019 Batch “B” Stream 2 corps members has been fixed nationwide for July 16.

NYSC also said that qualified corps members are to collect their Certificates of National Service (CNS) at the Local Government level.

The NYSC disclosed this in a statement by its Director, Press and Public Relations, Mrs. Adenike Adeyemi, on Wednesday in Abuja.

”Arising from the threat posed by COVID-19 pandemic, and as a precautionary measure, the event will be low-key.

“Accordingly, the distribution of the certificate of national service shall be staggered for a period of 10 days in the first instance, in keeping with the safety measures established by Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC),” the statement read in part.

The statement quoted the Director-General of the scheme, Brig.-Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim, as giving kudos to the outgoing members for their service to the nation, and in particular for standing out to be counted in this time of national emergency.

The director-general also enjoined them to remain good ambassadors of the scheme in their future endeavours.

The statement quoted the Director-General of the scheme, Brig.-Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim, as giving kudos to the outgoing members for their service to the nation, and in particular for standing out to be counted in this time of national emergency.

The director-general also enjoined them to remain good ambassadors of the scheme in their future endeavours.

“All corps members and NYSC stakeholders are advised to stay vigilant, in order to guard against the contraction of COVID-19

“All corps members and NYSC stakeholders are advised to stay vigilant, in order to guard against the contraction of COVID-19

COVID-19: Dubai reopens doors to tourists

With a “welcome” passport sticker and coronavirus tests on arrival, Dubai reopened its doors to international visitors Tuesday in the hope of reviving its tourism industry after a nearly four-month closure.

But businesses are mainly betting on those already living in the gleaming desert city to energise its ailing economy and serve as a test run before wary foreign holiday makers return.

“A warm welcome to your second home,” said the sticker applied to passports at Dubai airport, where employees wore hazmat suits and vending machines offered personal protective equipment.

Italian tourist Francesca Conte said on arrival she was worried up until the last minute that her flight would be cancelled.

When I saw passengers queueing at the gate, I thought today we are not leaving, since the trip to Dubai had already been skipped three times,” Conte said.

She said she felt sad “seeing empty spaces” on the plane and stewards and hostesses “dressed like nurses and doctors”, in their lab coats.

The reopening Tuesday came as the number of COVID-19 cases in the United Arab Emirates climbed to 52,600 included 326 deaths, with millions of foreign workers living in cramped accommodation particularly hard hit.

Incoming tourists are required to present a negative test result taken within four days of the flight. If not, they can take the test on arrival but must self-isolate until they receive the all-clear.

Tourism has long been the lifeline of the glitzy Gulf emirate, one of the seven sheikhdoms that make up the UAE.

High season starts in October when the scorching heat of the Gulf summer starts to dissipate.

– Staycation, daycation –

Dubai welcomed more than 16.7 million visitors last year, and before the pandemic crippled global travel, the aim had been to reach 20 million arrivals in 2020.

“We are ready to receive tourists while we take all necessary precautions,” said Talal al-Shanqiti of Dubai’s General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs in a video message tweeted on Sunday.

Strike: COVID-19 patients leave Ondo hospital

Sequel to the industrial action embarked upon by the medical doctors, particularly those at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Ondo State, some of the patients at the IDH who are being treated for COVID-19 were said to be leaving the hospital.

The doctors under the auspices of the National Association of Government General Medical and Dental Practitioners ordered their colleagues at the general hospitals and the IDH to withdraw their services until the state government accedes to their demands.

The members of the NAGGMDP embarked on industrial action following the alleged failure of the state government to respond to their demands, which they said concerned their welfare.

A few days after the strike, a source at the IDH informed our correspondent that some of the patients had been leaving the hospital to receive treatment somewhere else due to the insufficiency of doctors to attend to them.

The source said, ” Only a few doctors are coming here and they don’t adequately attend to all the patients. So some of the patients are leaving to seek treatment in another place or go back to their houses to treat themselves. That is the situation at the IDH currently. ”

When contacted, the state Acting Commissioner for Health, Dr Jibayo Adeyeye, said the patients were being attended to by some other doctors who are not on strike.

” Though some doctors are on strike, we have some who are still working and attending to the patients. I don’t think it is true that patients are leaving the hospital,” Adeyeye stated.

Source; PunchNews

WASSCE 2020: FG stops resumption of schools

The Federal Government has put on hold the planned resumption of federal schools.

It has also stopped students from participating in the West African Senior School Certificate Examinations earlier scheduled for August 4 to September 5.

The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, disclosed this to State House Correspondents at the end of a meeting of the Federal Executive Council presided over by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).

The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, disclosed this to State House Correspondents at the end of a meeting of the Federal Executive Council presided over by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).

The minister said federal schools would remain closed until it is safe to reopen them.

He also urged state governments that have announced school resumption plans to rescind such.

Adamu stated that the West African Examinations Council could not determine the resumption date of schools for Nigeria.

He said he would prefer that Nigerian students lose an academic year than to expose them to heath dangers amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Source : PunchNews

COVID-19 lockdown: Imo Governor, Uzodinma succumbs to pressure, reopens markets

The Imo State Governor, Senator Hope Uzodinma, has instructed that all commercial markets in the state be reopened and traders allowed to sell their wares with effect from Wednesday, 8, 2020.

The traders are expected to operate three times in a week while abiding by all the subsisting COVID-19 measures.

Our correspondent who spoke with the Special Adviser to the deputy Governor on Media and Publicity, Ozioma Teddy Ukwuoma, said the Governor has done so to enable the traders in the state sell their wares.

Similarly, he reminded the traders that the opening of markets was limited to three days a week.

In a press release signed by the state Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Kingsley Ononuju, it said that Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays have been set aside for traders to operate.

The release further said that all the existing measures against COVID-19 are still in place as the Governor has done so to alleviate the burdens of the traders who have been made to stay indoors since three months due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It, however, warned that any trader violating safety measures earlier put in place by the government will be arrested and prosecuted by the mobile court.

In an interview with a trader (name withheld) at Amakohia modern market, Owerri, she said that Imo government was playing to the gallery, insisting that whether lockdown or not, the traders have been going about their businesses

She described the announcement made by the government as dead on arrival because, according to her, Imo people cannot be obstructed from doing their business.

House Reps refute reports that 50 lawmakers tested positive for COVID-19

The House of Representatives has described as “fake news” and “gross misinformation”, the reports that over 50 lawmakers tested positive for coronavirus.

There were publications on Tuesday [Not from Daily Post] that over 50 lawmakers allegedly tested positive for COVID-19.

But the Spokesman for the House of Representatives, Rep. Benjamin Kalu, in a statement Wednesday morning, said there was no time about 50 members of the National Assembly tested positive for COVID-19, urging the public to disregard the news.

“Members of the National Assembly could fall prey to COVID-19, just like any other person. It is, therefore, unconscionable to attempt to weaponize this against the institution especially when the source of such strange information is a phantom”, Hon. Kalu said.

He stressed that, it was necessary to prevent undue panic in the society “because the above mentioned publication could not be further from the truth.

“We wish to state that there has not been any panic at the National Assembly as alleged in the publication, and that to the best of our knowledge, it is absolutely untrue that 50 lawmakers tested positive to COVID-19.

“The House is certain that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), the Federal Ministry of Health and the Presidential Task Force remain the most credible sources of data with regards to this pandemic and should be referred to for fact verification before misinforming the public”.

The Spokesman stated that, “the scourge of Covid-19 has impacted all countries of the world, including every state, community and individual without exception. However, it is but a sickness and not a criminal sentence on infected people.

“Therefore, it should not be an offence to be sick or a crime to be infected, and people who have passed through infection or recovery should not be stigmatized for nobody knows whose turn it will be tomorrow.

“The National Assembly and our leadership have been at the fore of the battle to reduce the impact of this pandemic on the people of Nigeria. At the battlefront, occasional casualties are inevitable, especially when the warriors are not super human”.

While cautioning journalists to always crosscheck their facts before going to the press, Rep. Kalu reiterated that, though, “the House of Representatives still works 5 days a week at committee level, it has been sitting only once a week since the pandemic broke”.

He clarified that Tuesday’s adjournment until next week was consistent with its COVID-19 safety precaution and has nothing to do with the reported panic within the National Assembly complex.

COVID-19: Buhari govt issues guidelines for elections

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, has issued guidelines for the conduct of elections in Nigeria, amid the Coronavirus pandemic.

NCDC Director-General, Chikwe Ihekweazu said the country’s electoral stakeholders must comply with protective measures like avoiding mass gathering, ensuring social distancing.

Ihekweazu also urged electoral stakeholders to ensure hand hygiene and mandatory use of face masks.

Speaking during a Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19 on Monday, in Abuja, Ihekweazu warned that the virus thrives in mass gatherings, hence such should be limited during elections.

The NCDC boss urged politicians to use the mass media in their political campaigns.

He said: “Today we are announcing and launching a new guideline for the conduct of elections during the COVID-19 outbreak in Nigeria.

“Therefore, we have developed this guideline to support everyone involved – parties, INEC, but most critically, Nigerians that will be going to vote in these difficult times.

“As we know, the virus thrives in mass gathering, so there is a challenge we have in the way we have conducted our elections – pre-elections, during elections and post-elections. So, in doing this guideline, we try and offer advice on how to do this safely.

We strongly encourage the use of television, radio, mobile vans, social media and other forms of communication as our politicians solicit votes.

“We advise careful adherence to mass gathering guidelines.

Unfortunately, the virus doesn’t recognise whether we are conducting elections, religious gatherings or business settings – it just thrives when people come together.

We have provided specific guidelines for these settings and none of them will be surprising and we’ll be explicit about it.”

Kwara directs all contacts of late Chief of Staff to take COVID-19 test, proceed on self-isolation

Kwara State government on Wednesday, directed all those who had contact with late Chief of Staff to the governor, Aminu Adisa Logun within the last fourteen days to go on self isolation.

Spokesman to the state governor, Rafiu Ajakaye in a statement in Ilorin, said the Ministry of Health, has advised those contacts to visit the COVID-19 infectious disease centre/hospital at Sobi specialist hospital for immediate collection of their samples for test.

Logun who died on Tuesday in Ilorin from COVID-19 complications, will be buried at his residence in GRA, Ilorin the state capital on Wednesday.

Dr Raji Razaq, the state Commissioner for Health, said, “in line with the COVID-19 protocols and guidelines, all persons who have had contacts with the late Chief of Staff in the last fourteen days are to proceed for test and thereafter to self isolate until the result of the test is communicated to them.

In a statement, the commissioner said “after due consultations, the family and the government of Kwara State hereby announce that a dignifying COVID-19 compliant janazah would be held in honour of the late Chief of Staff on Wednesday at his GRA home in Ilorin.”

The statement said the janazah, shall be supervised by the burial team of the state COVID-19 technical committee in accordance with extant protocols for Muslims.

“The janazah prayer shall be led by the chief Imam of Ilorin, with only selected family members, few clerics appointed by the Emir of Ilorin, and few government officials expected to be in attendance,” the statement added.

Source: Dailypost